By Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore
This better half brings jointly a workforce of best figures in modern philosophy to supply an in-depth exposition and research of Quine’s vast effect throughout philosophy’s many subfields, highlighting the breadth of his paintings, and revealing his persisted value today.
- Provides an in-depth account and research of W.V.O. Quine’s contribution to American Philosophy, and his place as one of many past due twentieth-century’s so much influential analytic philosophers
- Brings jointly newly-commissioned essays by way of prime figures inside modern philosophy
- Covers Quine’s paintings throughout philosophy of good judgment, philosophy of language, ontology and metaphysics, epistemology, and more
- Explores his paintings in terms of the origins of analytic philosophy in the United States, and to the historical past of philosophy extra broadly
- Highlights the breadth of Quine’s paintings around the self-discipline, and demonstrates the ongoing effect of his paintings in the philosophical community
Read Online or Download A Companion to W. V. O. Quine PDF
Best history & surveys books
By way of extending Gilles Deleuze's philosophy via different literary tracts, this publication develops an account of what it capability to be various and enters very important modern debates approximately id and the character of solitude. whilst, the publication elaborates a constrained philosophy. From strange writings and infrequent human reviews, James Brusseau forges compelling understandings that scrupulously shield his topics' irregularities.
Many modern Anglo-American philosophers describe themselves as naturalists. yet what do they suggest by means of that time period? renowned naturalist slogans like, "there is not any first philosophy" or "philosophy is continuing with the common sciences" are faraway from illuminating. "Understanding Naturalism" presents a transparent and readable survey of the most strands in contemporary naturalist notion.
The background of contemporary Germany has all too effectively been noticeable by way of an ancient technique that necessarily resulted in the horrors of nationwide Socialism. As there are not any certitudes in lifestyles, although, so there are none in German historical past. during this e-book, historian Klemens von Klemperer makes a speciality of what he phrases the German Incertitudes--namely, the tensions among a practical reputation of disenchantment with the fashionable global, and an insistence upon reenchantment.
This publication showcases the heritage and idea of pragmatism and its alignment to the sensibilities of up to date analytic philosophy. It does this not just by means of describing its mode of operation and explaining its legitimating motive, but additionally by means of substantiating its claims via a sequence of instructive case reviews.
- Varieties of Skepticism : Essays after Kant, Wittgenstein, and Cavell
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Crusades
- Kant and the Limits of Autonomy
- Descartes' Natural Philosophy (Routledge Studies in Seventeenth Century Philosophy)
- Deleuze, Whitehead, Bergson: Rhizomatic Connections
Additional resources for A Companion to W. V. O. Quine
On the other hand, it is the task of empirical science to discover synthetic truths about the world, using its distinctive methods. ” So no empirical discovery by science could overturn or even bear on the acceptability of a philosophical analysis. Quine denies that any pronouncements of philosophy have such status. A fortiori, there is no distinctive philosophical method that outputs such truths. 30 quine and epistemology The picture of philosophy as a higher-order discipline had earlier been championed by Carnap.
Philosophical Studies 59(3), 333–349. Maffie, James (1990b). Recent Work on Naturalized Epistemology. American Philosophical Quarterly 27(4), 281–293. Mill, John Stuart (1843). A System of Logic. Longman. Nagel, Ernest (1961). The Structure of Science: Problems in the Logic of Scientific Explanation. London: Routledge. Neurath, Otto (1932/33). Protocol Sentences. J. ). Logical Positivism. New York: The Free Press. V. (1951). Two Dogmas of Empiricism. Philosophical Review 60(1), 20–43. V. (1960).
New York: The Free Press. Hempel, Carl G. and Paul Oppenheim (1948). Studies in the Logic of Explanation. Philosophy of Science 15(2), 135–175. Hylton, Peter (2007). Quine. New York: Routledge. M. (1998). Realistic Rationalism. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. 35 thomas kelly Kelly, Thomas (2003). Epistemic Rationality as Instrumental Rationality: A Critique. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 66(3), 612–640. Kelly, Thomas (2007). Evidence and Normativity: Reply to Leite. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 75(2), 465–474.
A Companion to W. V. O. Quine by Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore